This post is brought to you as a “stolen” Eff-book meme. I’m putting this here because I’ve been enjoying blogging more than I have been enjoying sharing “stuff” on facebook.
1. I was a lifeguard from age 14 until I was 23. I still want to yell “WALK” at kids when I go to the pool. I was the mean lifeguard, too. A real disciplinarian. (Or bitch, whichever you prefer.) Also, I never had to go into the water to “save” anyone. I was, however, the lifeguard who could actually deal with blood. Anyone cut? A split lip? A lacerated chin? They brought them all to me.
2. I was a water girl. A real fish. A mermaid even. My Grandparents lived on a lake. When I was there, I pretty much had to be in the water. Swimming, floating, water skiing, sailing, windsurfing. Anything really. I would even swim over to our neighbors home for a visit.
3. I don’t wash my hair. I rinse it with a combination of baking soda and water. Then I rinse again with another combination. This time it’s water and a couple of tablespoons of vinegar. I like the texture it gives me. I also like that I don’t have soapy residue anymore.
4. I have a degree in Interior Design. Even though I’ve only practiced design at three jobs for a total of nine years, I’ve used design principals and experience at every job I’ve ever had. So, I’m getting my money’s worth, for sure. It’s also something that comes naturally and I really enjoy designing.
5. My Mom passed away when I was a baby. It was a very, very long time ago. Even though I’m sure she’s with me, in spirit, every day, I’d still give just about anything to hang out with her for a day.
6. My Dad passed away when I was in college. My Grandparents raised me, for which I’m extremely grateful. They were pretty amazing people. They’re all gone too. If I think about it too much, I can get real sad, real fast.
7. I would live way back in the woods or in a remote area on the water in a skinny minute if I could. Really. I crave being outside in nature. I take every chance I can to be outside and reconnect. Right now I live in the most densely populated city in between New York City and Chicago. Yes, it’s true. I think I could change gears quickly, though, just to have more opportunities to be outside.
8. I have a start/stop yoga practice. I go to a wonderful yoga studio. But most of my practice is at home. I have a few videos but mostly I do what seems to be good for me, that day. I’m not sure how I got into the yoga groove, but I did. I really love it. Having said that, I need to get back on the yoga horse. I miss it.
9. I’d never taken a dance class until about a year and a half ago. My first class was Hula Hoop Dance. Not just Hula Hoop basics, which is fun in itself. It was a “learn-to-hoop-and-open-yourself-up-to-dance” It pretty much blew my mind and really opened me up to the wonders of movement as a tool to heal. (How did this one get so deep so fast?) Needless to say, I’m hooked.
10. I really identify as a “Ginger” I really do. However, my “real” hair color is medium brown with lots of gray. In covering up my gray, I can be any color at all. And generally, I choose Ginger. Or Strawberry Blonde. It goes with my 100 million freckles.
If you comment on this post, I’ll give you a number. That will be the number of things “people do not know about you” You can either blog your “number” of things, or “facebook” it (leave a link to that in comments) or leave it in the comments below, if you’d like.